The Magura Cave lies in the northwest foothills of the Balkan Mountains, near the town of Rabisha and about 23 kilometers from Belogradchik, which is home to arguably Bulgaria’s most beautiful castle.
The cave has a total length of 17,185 meters and its climate is very humid with a steady temperature of 14 degrees Celsius all year round.
In the recent past, the Magura Cave provided shelter for local shepherds and offered a hiding spot to outlaws from Belogradchik who had been fighting against Ottoman rule. The first organized tourist trips started in 1934 and 1956 respectively.
The cave is divided into two parts: Big Magura (also known as Large Magura) and Small Magura (also known as Little Magura).
The Big Magura is located at the entrance of the cave. It is about 600 meters in length and 60 meters deep, with numerous galleries leading to halls measuring up to 30 meters in height. The gallery ends in a huge hall called “Caly”, where a huge stalagmite is located.
The Small Magura is accessible via a wooden pathway and calcium formations can be seen throughout it. It ends in “Heracle’s Hall”, which was named after the Greek hero who fought against the three-headed dragon, the Kvaroto. The cave sometimes hosts musical concerts, which are quite popular with the locals. The Magura Cave is one of Bulgaria’s most significant natural landmarks and has been declared part of the 100 Tourist Sites of Bulgaria.
The Big Magura Hall in the Magura Cave is similar to that found in Pestera cu Oase (the Bone Cavern), Romania.