Tennessee is home to some remarkable caves that offer a fascinating underground adventure. From stalactites and stalagmites to hidden chambers and underground rivers, these caves showcase the wonders of nature. Here are 10 Tennessee caves that are worth exploring.
1. Ruby Falls: Located in Chattanooga, Ruby Falls is an awe-inspiring cave that features a 145-foot waterfall. Visitors can take a guided tour through the cave and witness the stunning beauty of this natural wonder.
2. Cumberland Caverns: Situated in McMinnville, Cumberland Caverns is one of the longest caves in Tennessee. It offers a variety of tours, including an adventurous spelunking experience for those seeking a more challenging exploration.
3. Tuckaleechee Caverns: Nestled in Townsend, Tuckaleechee Caverns boasts impressive formations, such as the Big Room and the Silver Falls. Visitors can take a guided tour to learn about the cave’s history and geology.
4. Forbidden Caverns: Located in Sevierville, Forbidden Caverns is known for its unique formations and underground streams. The guided tour takes visitors through narrow passages and showcases stunning mineral formations.
5. Appalachian Caverns: Situated in Blountville, Appalachian Caverns offers a diverse range of formations, including flowstones, stalactites, and cave corals. The cave also has a fascinating Native American history.
6. Lost Sea Adventure: Located in Sweetwater, Lost Sea Adventure is home to the largest underground lake in the United States. Visitors can take a boat tour on the lake and explore the cave’s vast chambers.
7. Bristol Caverns: Nestled in Bristol, Bristol Caverns features stunning formations, including stalactites and stalagmites. The guided tour offers insights into the cave’s geological history.
8. Cumberland Gap Caverns: Situated near Cumberland Gap National Historical Park, Cumberland Gap Caverns showcases intricate formations and underground waterfalls. Visitors can take a guided lantern tour for a unique experience.
9. Dunbar Cave: Located in Clarksville, Dunbar Cave is a historic site with ancient Native American drawings on its walls. The guided tour allows visitors to explore the cave’s rich cultural significance.
10. Worley’s Cave: Situated in Bluff City, Worley’s Cave offers an adventurous experience with its narrow passageways and challenging climbs. Guided tours provide insights into the cave’s geological features.